Have you been looking for the perfect recipe this season for all of those holiday get togethers with family & friends? We asked our agents to share their favorite “go to” dish to pass and we think you’ll love these delicious recipes. Stay tuned over the next couple of weeks to see what’s in store!
Today, we are featuring Kathy Duisterhof’s favorite breakfast casserole recipe for Christmas morning, Sausage & Egg Casserole. Your family and friends will love this delightful, easy-to-make breakfast specialty (recipe and photos courtesy of Kathleen Donnelly Ernst from All Recipes).
The recipe below makes about 8 servings and is sure to be a holiday breakfast favorite! Don’t forget to check out the “Agent Tips” underneath the instructions.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 8 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 6 slices white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in sausage. Cook and stir until sausage is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain and discard any excess grease.
2. Beat eggs in a large bowl; stir in milk, salt, and mustard. Fold bread cubes, Cheddar cheese, and sausage into egg mixture. Pour into a lightly greased 7×11-inch baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove casserole from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
4. Bake in preheated oven until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
Kathy recommends to sauté onions and mix them in with the sausage for added flavor.
This is a delicious egg dish that can be made the night before and simply popped in the oven in the morning. Our girls have experienced the tradition of the scent of this dish cooking while opening gifts and stockings. Cheers!”
We hope you enjoy this delicious breakfast casserole recipe and stay tuned for more holiday favorites to come!
Photos- Sausage and Egg Casserole Recipe photo by Taste of Home
Blog contributor: Molly De Wald, Creative Director & Licensed Administrative Coordinator